Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 3 - Back to Basics




First day back to work *grumble*. Probably like most of you, my routine was all screwed up. I had set my alarm clock early to take my shower, wanted to make myself a coffee before heading out. None of it happened thanks to that damn snooze button.

I still managed to make it out the door on time, surprisingly. The entire city is covered in this wonderful duvet of snow, so I took out my MITTENS and decided to finally wear them. You have to understand, mittens are completely impractical for smokers unless they are super thin and you're able to balance and flick the cigarette from between your thumb and your index, without burning the wool. Good luck. But yay, are they comfy and nice!

So I briskly walked all the way to the metro station, which normally initiates a tightening in my chest on a good day, a full out asthma attack on other days. This time, coast was clear, no breathing issues, not even a wheeze! :D

I sat down in the metro car, pull out my book ("The Death and Life of Bobby Z" by Don Winslow - excellent read!) and at the next stop a smoker plops down next to me. I NEARLY CHOKED! I hadn't had that kind of reaction to a smoker in a while, but HOLY CRAP DID HE FRIGGIN RUB THE ASHTRAY ON HIS COAT OR SOMETHING?! I shudder from the thought that I smelled like this. That I made people react like that to my smell. Women should smell pretty, rosy, flowery. Not smokey. Not like they just crawled out from a pub crawl in Dublin!

Anyways. I'm at my desk about to embark on my first workday sans smoke. I might have to force myself to take little breaks. I sincerely hope that Mitch will be okay without me at home and that he'll stay the course. I won't be mad if he doesn't but I guess I will be disappointed if my partner flakes. We'll see how it goes - point is I am now an ex-smoker. That's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment